Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bahamas Day One- Words

So I made it, safe and sound. And currently I am just kinda in culture overload mode. I have been doing my best to process as much as I can and learn as much as I can. Here’s what I got:

Eleuthera is a 110 mile long island, with about 8000 inhabitants, and between 15-30 little settlements. This is way smaller than Clemson, population wise.

Where we are staying is basically a really old coral hill. My back yard is actually thousands of years of old dry coral. Ballin.

Event oriented society opposed to a time oriented society. We’ll see how this plays out for me.

Everyone knows everybody.

They drive on the left side of the road, and the driver’s side is still on the left side.

They eat a lot of conch. Conch salad, conch fritters, other conch that I haven’t tried yet.

They Bahamians really like to party. And I mean alcohol, music, dancing, food. Often there is a beauty pageant involved in the party. According to the people I am with, there is a big disconnect between how they are at church and how they are outside of it. Apparently they have a big party from Good Friday through Easter Sunday Morning, and then roll up into church. This, just reminds me of America.

The beach is gorgeous. We went to one on the Atlantic side, and the sand was so white. And the grains were huge. Much better than SC beaches.

Bahamians have an islander accent similar, but different enough, to your stereotypical Jamaican accent.

Quick storytime:

Tonight we went to the Pineapple Festival in a little town up the road. There was food, lots of people, and a good many drunks. It was really interesting as there was a substantial group of white people throughout the crowd. (Understand Eleuthera isn’t really a tourist island.) Initiatly the big thing was this Dj. He was playing lots of random American pop music; Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Rhianna, ect. It was really interesting to see all the Bahamians singing along to these songs that are all over America. But the best part was the dude would like talk over the songs on the mic every 15 seconds. Sooooo funny.
Anyways, eventually the draw became “The Miss Pineapple Princess Pageant” for girls aged 12-15. There were four contestants and they danced and gave speeches in various outfits. Standard pageant business. It was interesting as it was like the big thing and everyone was into it. We left while the pageant had probably another 2 hours left. The party will go on to the wee hours of the morning.


I am loving it here.





Scripture of the day:

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

I like it because it’s a cyclical promise. Haha


Much love everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment