Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Last night I went to the Sydney State Theatre and saw B.B. King perform. First of all, I was probably 20 to 30 years under the average age in the auditorium, but that is to be expected.


B.B. was awesome. He is now 85, and struggles walking, but man he can still play the guitar. And his voice sounds exactly the same. As much as I loved watching a living legend play guitar and play the true blues, the best part was definitely just listening to B.B. and his band interact. Like Mr. King, B.b.'s band is a bunch of 60+ black guys too. They cracked jokes on each other the whole night, B.b. threatened to cut his drummer cause he was teasing him, and they just had a genuine good time playing music together. And I really respect anyone who can do what he has for so long and really enjoy it still.


At one point in the show someone yelled out, "Play 'How Blue Can You Get'!" At first he kind of scratched his head and said something like, "Man I haven't played that song in years....". After trying out several keys, starting the song in Ab, then deciding to change it to Bb he played it. He forgot the lyrics at one point and he just started laughing so hard. Some people reminded him, and he started over and played it through and freaking killed it. But the entire time he was just all smiles. Too awesome.


Here's a link to a version of the much, much younger B.b playing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8HL3D8BQDA. He sounds exactly the same, just looks a little tiny bit older. 


Anyways, concert experience over, life is going alright down here. I definitely have been trying to rest daily, because I've never been able to do that. My mind is constantly running and it is exhausting. Even now as I try to remember how great Mr. King was, I am thinking of things I need to do and things I don't understand. That being said, this is a verse that I have had to read/quote daily in reminder:



“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.
Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”
John 6:67-69


Oh the truth feels so good when I can rest in it and stop the questioning!


To everyone back home, and in the rest of the world, I miss you and love you.


Peace and Joy,


Boyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment