Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Weight of Grace

The weight of grace really struck me yesterday. Fully and completely. The night before I found myself asking to be overwhelmed with the idea of grace, specifically to be strangled in grace. I thought the juxtaposition of strangle with grace was kinda funny, though realistic and desirable. I felt underwhelmed. But grace is central, and I knew/know it. So I asked to feel its weight, its magnitude, and its purpose. It was a simple thing to ask. And it was simply given.
The magnitude of grace is enormous and changing. It removes fear, removes pain, and provides perspective. For grace does not and did not come cheap, but came at the price of death, so that I might be freed from the fear of death and everything underneath death's reign. Yet it was freely given to me.
And the best part about grace is that is a sign and a symptom of love.
The result of this is simple, I don't feel nervous, anxious, or afraid. About Australia, or about the rest of whatever I spend time worrying about. Compared the size of the hope of Christ and the weight of grace, nothing seems to matter.

This seems fitting:
Hebrews 13:6 "...I will not fear; what can man do to me?"

as does this:

Galatians 6:14 "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."



Song of the moment:
I Want to Be Well - Sufjan Stevens

A close second:
Big Country - Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

No comments:

Post a Comment