Thursday, May 27, 2010

What's Going On

I figured it be nice just for me to give a little update of whats going on in my life.

First of all, I leave within two weeks for the Bahamas. I am spending a little less than two months there interning with Caribbean Ministries Association. My job will principally be to direct the groups that come in and kind of lead them in whatever way life demands. The groups will be doing a lot of construction and also leading vbs and camps and such with the kids on the island. I am ecstatic to go and serve and really hope that the lord raises up peace, wisdom, strength, and motion in me that I may not be a stagnant person on the island but dramatically seek out and build up his kingdom. I honestly have no clue what to expect in the way of daily life or culture, but I certainly have seen the lord preparing me for this trip.

The island we will be staying on is Eleuthera. It is freaking gorgeous. Apparently it is around 100 miles long, but only a mile or two wide at its largest points. When I was looking into and thinking about applying for the internship, I found on the internet that some magazine had ranked it in its top 25 sexiest beaches, whatever that means. Personally I am confused at how a beach can be sexually attractive, but maybe I am just weird. And a group last year definitely saw people filming a tyler perry movie on the island.

Anyways I would appreciate prayer. Thats a very general statement as I would appreciate it equally as much when I am doing the whole college thing. But this is a special occasion, and if you would like to pray for me, do it to it.

As for what I have been doing, the most appropriate answer is not much. I haven't had a job for may, thank goodness, so i've just been hanging around town, playing disc golf and ultimate, and reading. I've also started teaching myself guitar, just in time to go away for two months and not play.

But I really did just finish the Chronicles of Narnia series. And dang they were good. I mean I remember reading them back in elementary school or early middle school and liking the stories and books and all, but I truly appreciate them now. The method in which C.S. Lewis takes on an allegorical description of the most important and best story ever really astounds me. I really enjoyed the way he described Aslan (God/Jesus, who in the world of Narnia is a lion). Things like "terrible but good" and "beautiful but fearsome" and just continual hedging of adjectives that show glory, power, tenderness, and love.

But my personal favorite is this:


...
"Aslan a man!" Mr. Beaver said sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion—the Lion, the great Lion."

"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he--quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver. "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."


How beautiful and true is that!? The God I serve is not safe. At the base of the Mount Sinai, we see the Israelites fear God's voice.

Exodus 20:18-19 (right after Ten Commandments are given, before Moses goes up the mountain.)
18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die."

Yet this is the same God that comes to Elijah not in a fire, earthquake, or storm but a gentle whisper (1 Kings 19: 11-13).

Our God is not safe. He has power to kill, cause storms, cause plagues, bring down fire, topple buildings, and end this world as we know it. But this is the same God who comes in whispers, calms the storms, heals the sick, comforts the hurting, and redeemed us all. He is good.


To finish my ramblings of Narnia, all I have to say is after I finished reading The Last Battle, I was super jacked about eternity. Then I read Psalm 72 and was even more excited. Nothing can compare to what is in store for his kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment